For fifteen years, Professor Goldblatt has been engaged by a wide variety of individuals and groups to conduct tours of the inspiring city of Edinburgh. Professor Goldblatt offers the following customized three-hour tour programmes.
Meeting you has been a highlight of our tour. We are all so grateful for the time and wisdom you so generously shared with us today. No doubt, we will be talking about Edinburgh and you for years to come. How fortunate this city is to have you as one of its most eloquent advocates.” Evan and Topher Brooke and family, Pennsylvania, USA , 2023
My mother and I were lucky enough to spend an afternoon touring Edinburgh with a focus on Jewish history and heritage. What a treat! I cannot imagine a better experience than our time with Joe. He was a wealth of knowledge on history, both of secular and Jewish. Charming, engaging, and affable, Joe was well worth the price!” Jessica Zander, New Hope, Pennsylvania 2023
I discovered so much during those two hours spent with you, not only about the Jewish diaspora in Edinburgh but in the whole of Scotland. It was made even better by visiting sites, such as the historic cemetery, as well as having all your personal anecdotes and stories. I cannot thank you enough for taking the time to share about your community and religion with such enthusiasm.” Anais Paulard, Blue Badge Tour Guide, 2023
We all had such a wonderful time with you yesterday. Your talk about Jewish immigration to Scotland was fascinating and we could have listened to you for hours. Your tour in the taxi was really enlightening and made all of us want to explore more! ” Fiona Maxwell, Blue Badge Tour Guide, Edinburgh, Scotland 2023
We have lived in Edinburgh all our lives and during the Jewish People in Edinburgh tour we lerned so many new and fascinating things about our home city!” Local Edinburgh Jewish couple, November 2022
The tour is extremely interesting and Professor Joe Goldblatt is a wonderful tour guide and remarkable storyteller. He guided our family through the history of Jewish people in Scotland. He provided great detail and historical facts while keeping the day light and fun. We would definitely recommend this tour and Joe for anyone interested in Scottish history and the Jewish experience in Scotland.” Jonna Eimer, Chicago, Illinois, 30 December 2022
On behalf of our group, I would like to thank you for the wonderful, informative and entertaining Jewish and American tour of Edinburgh with the emphasis on Jewish life in Scotland. We wish you the best of health and continued success in all of your endeavors. It was a pleasure to meet you.” Dorothy Bruckstein, Long Island, New York 16 September 2022
The Americans in Scotland Walking Tour
Celebrate the many positive links between Scotland the United States and learn how to research your Scottish ancestry, tartan and coat of arms.
- Discover why Abraham Lincoln respected Scotland’s national bard Robert Burns and see his statue which was the first one in Europe.
- Explore the many inventions of the Scottish people that were later developed in the USA and have changed the world.
- Experience the unique cultural links between the USA and Scotland.
- Learn about Scotland’s unique government and how the Declaration of Arbroath inspired the USA Declaration of independence.
- You will have photo opportunities at Edinburgh Castle, St Giles Cathedral, the Royal Mile, the Canongate Kirk, Adam Smith’s tomb, Lincoln’s statue, Holyrood Palace and much more.
The tour is a three hour light walking tour (no steps) with frequent stops, departing from the Balmoral Hotel and proceeding up the Royal Mile and concluding with Tea at Her Majesty’s Palace.
What an inspiring role the Jewish people have played in Edinburgh and throughout Scotland! I was impressed with the rich history and the future plans for this unique community.” Jewish tourist from Switzerland, June 2022
The Jewish People in Edinburgh Walking Tour
The three hour tour will include all of the historic Jewish sites in Edinburgh and describe how for 200 years the Jewish people has contributed to the grown and development of Scotland’s capital city.
My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our memorable, private Edinburgh Jewish History and Heritage tour with learned Jewish and Scottish historian and congenial raconteur, Professor Joe Goldblatt. Joe invited us to meet him over a welcome cuppa on a windy Edinburgh afternoon at the magnificent Balmoral Hotel. A classy way to start our afternoon! After the Balmoral, highlights included a stop at the city’s first Jewish family tomb, the Edinburgh Hebrew Congregation synagogue, the historic nineteenth century cemetery, the heights of Calton Hill with its iconic National Monument of Scotland and a fitting finish at Edinburgh’s best bagel shop, Bross Bagels. Don and Rochelle Cohen, New York, New York
- Tour Photo opportunities include:
- The site of the original Jewish quarter in Edinburgh
- Two historic plaques commemorating how the Jewish people founded the world renowned Edinburgh International Festival
- The historic nineteenth century Jewish cemetery
- The site of the original Jewish synagogue
- The eighteenth century tomb of one of Scotland’s most historic and famous Jewish citizens, Dr Herman Lion who was both a podiatrist and dentist!
- The main orthodox synagogue in Edinburgh
- The development of the Jewish community in Edinburgh and its future Edinburgh Jewish Cultural Centre
This is a light walking tour (no steps) and some of the tour is conducted by taxi and it shall commence with tea and discussion at the historic Balmoral Hotel (tea and biscuits and transport included in tour fee).
Tour is limited to five persons.
To book or find out more about these tours ,including costs, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
The Balmoral, A Rocco Forte Hotel, is the official and exclusive booking partner for these tours.